Friday, June 17, 2011

Dajia

Was in Downtown today and had a craving for Japanese food on a nice sunny night. I wasn't planning to go anywhere expensive because I wanted to save my wallet, so I went onto urbanspoon.com and filtered for Japanese restaurants in the West End of Downtown. I ended up choosing Dajia because out of 26 people that voted for it on Urbanspoon, 100% liked it, so I decided to try it because it was also relatively cheap.


I was at the restaurant pretty early in the night, and the place was empty. I was greeted nicely by the server and the seat allowed me to get a view of all the people walking by along Denman St. Great for people-watching!


One thing I noticed was that they held their door open, as a result, I saw a few flies flying around the restaurant, this is not so good. The restaurant was otherwise acceptably clean.


Now on to the food!

Special Teriyaki Bento Box Combo 4 $9.95     4/5
BBQ Eel, Salad, Rice, Tempura, Tuna Roll [6 pcs]

+
  • Eel was fresh and not too soft or hard
  • Good quantity for the price
  • Rice was not soggy due to the sauce
  • No bones in the eel, I find this in many places







+
  • Served hot
  • Ebi tempura was very good, the batter was very crispy, and there was actually prawn (the whole thing wasn't just a stick of deep fried batter)
-
  • Did not really like the Spring Roll, they did fine with the frying, but I just did not like the taste of the inside
+
  • Tasted like your everyday Tuna Maki
  • Had more tuna than your usual Japanese restaurant
  • Rice and Tuna were fresh






+
  • Usually, I'm not a big fan of salad, but the sauce Dajia used for this one was very good, I ate all of it!








Chopped Scallop Roll $3.95     4/5

+
  • I did not expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised, this was actually pretty good
  • Not too big, I do not like restaurants which stuff the roll with scallop, the roll can be easily eaten at this size
  • Fresh ingredients
  • I loved the salmon eggs they put onto the roll, made it very aesthetically pleasing
  • Nice presentation


Overall: Dajia really surprised me because I wasn't really looking for much in this quick dinner. The food was pretty decent and it's perfect for a quick bite. However, I advise them to close their doors as flies are a problem.

Dajia on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment