Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sala Thai
















I was quite excited about this dinner because I do not have Thai often. From my limited experience, I really like the spices used in Thai dishes. The dinner tonight was actually a social gathering for an organization that I am involved in; I thought the host picked a great place for dinner because I found Sala Thai to be excellent for having casual chitchat with your group. This was due to the ambient lighting, various decorations, and the spaciousness of the restaurant. Another nice thing about Salathai is that their washroom was very clean and well maintained.


I had read some reviews of Salathai about their food being too slow. I unfortunately have to agree with these reviewers; the dish I ordered took ~30-40 minutes. In my opinion, for the type of dish I ordered, this is too long. Fortunately, our group had a really great time chatting with one another; so this was more a pro than a con in the case of this dinner tonight. I have also read some reviews of how this restaurant had bad service. I did not find any faults with the service; I actually found them extremely friendly. The waitresses were attentive (they smartly split the bill for our group without us even asking) and offered help in selecting items in the menu for those who might not be familiar with Thai dishes. One thing to note however is that they automatically charge a 15% gratuity for groups of 6 or more; this was stated in the menu so it was not a problem.


I decided to try the Pad Thai as I heard it was a signature Thai dish, let's see how it went:


Pad Thai Chao Wang $12.99     4.5/5
The original ingredients the Thai Palace and an Thai noodles dish, fried rice noodles with tiger prawns, tofu and bean sprouts with tamarind sauce 

+
  • Sauce had very strong sweet and sour taste, very strong tasty and good for taste buds
  • Dish came hot, it was still hot after I was half done the plate
  • The tiger prawns had a "vibrating" texture when bitten into, this is a sign of good prawn
  • Rice noodles were better than other rice noodles I've had at Chinese restaurants; they were thin and smooth
  • Very "crunchy", the dish had many "crunchy" foods, making eating the dish more enjoyable














Overall: Salathai exceeded my expectations. I expected a Thai restaurant which was mainly targeted towards tourists delivering not so good food. However, the food was quite delicious. My group seemed to enjoy the experience also. It was a Wednesday night but the restaurant was still quite busy. The servers are nice and friendly. The only thing preventing me from coming again is the price. With the 15% gratuity and taxes, my little plate of Pad Thai came at ~$17.




SalaThai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment