Sunday, June 19, 2011

Copa Cafe

I am really glad this restaurant chose to open here a few years ago. It has become my "go-to" place for cheap HK-style Cafe food. My old "go-to" place was Golden Oscar on Rupert @ 22nd. Copa just does everything right in my opinion.


Their service is what you expect from a regular HK-style Cafe, not very good, not very bad. They are generally friendly people and carry a smile. The restaurant itself is pretty clean on the front, the washrooms are also maintained, the utensils are usually clean; this is not something I can say for every HK-style restaurant. The most important part is that I feel comfortable eating here, it feels really "warm"; their ambiance is good.


I would say their closest competitors in this area are I-Cafe and Cafe Gloucester. One advantage that Copa has over these other restaurants is the ease of finding a parking space. There is a ~10 space CCTV-monitored parking lot behind the restaurant, as well as meter parking along Cambie and free parking along King Edward. 

Now on to the food:

Baked Garoupa Florentine on Rice $7.95     4/5

+
  • comes with cheese, cream, and spinach on top; I absolutely love the mixture melted on top of the rice after it is baked, it is not too watery or solid, it is just the right fluidity to go along with the rice
  • the fish tasted good, the cheese, cream, and spinach covered the taste of the fish, so it was good, the fish had a good texture, it was nice to bite into
  • the rice was not over baked, there was no rice sticking to the plate, good
  • came bubbling hot















Ginger scallion & Egg Fried Rice $6.95     3.5/5

+
  • I'll admit, I'm a little biased, I really don't like the taste of ginger, but I'll rate this as if I have no problems with Ginger
  • Very strong ginger taste
  • Served hot
  • Not too oily
-
  • I do not like Ginger taste lol




Dash Fish Misin Soup $7.95     3.5/5

+
  • Very strong soup taste
  • Fish tasted fresh
  • Misin was good texture, not too soft, not too hard
  • Good quantity
-
  • It smelled a little weird, I do not know how to describe the smell, but I did not really like it, I could not taste it though





Overall: I'll be back definitely, because I believe Copa delivers good food for the price in a comfortable setting. Keep up the good work!

Copa Cafe (Cambie) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment