Friday, July 8, 2011

Donburiya



Was looking to get some Donburi (Japanese-style rice bowl) before heading to Stanley Park for the Theatre Under The Stars show, which was quite entertaining by the way, definitely worth checking out in the summer. Today's weather was quite cool and wet for a summer day, I thought a nice bowl of hot donburi would be nice.


I found this restaurant through Urbanspoon, filtering for the restaurants that were most liked by others. Ended up choosing Donburiya. The prices were much cheaper than I expected as this is a Japanese fast-food style place; however, the seating was quite comfortable and the staff were friendly. Ordering food is like ordering at McDonalds where you place the order at the counter, however, the food is delivered to you by the staff. Self-serve free ice water is provided as well as some condiments.



 decided to try something new today, the Yakiniku:

Yakiniku (Medium) $6.50     5/5

+
  • Charred taste (did not appear black) through out the entire rice bowl; this taste was just delicious and I remembered it for several hours after the dinner because it was so tasty
  • The sauce they used was spread out through the entire rice bowl, other places I've been to usually just have all the Donburi ingredients on the top, and then tasteless rice on the bottom; however, the Yakiniku I had today was tasty throughout the whole bowl
  • The BBQ pork was prepared to just the right level, I really loved that "BBQ" taste
  • The lettuce vegetable they used combined with the salad sauce also added to the taste of the rice, sort of reminded me of the lettuce and salad combination in McDonalds' burgers
  • The rice did not stick together or had too much sauce on it, so the rice was not overly softened and retained much of the BBQ taste from the pork = Yummy!




Overall: Most delicious Japanese Donburi I've ever had, and at an affordable price too. I'll be back.

Donburiya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment