Sunday, May 15, 2011

Taiko on Denman

A relatively new Japanese restaurant on Denman mainly focused on All-you-can-eat, hopefully I can make it out here again for a full review of the AYCE experience.. However, today instead of AYCE, I grabbed a take-out for a quick lunch. I called ahead for the food and arranged for a time to pick-up. The food was ready when I got there, this is good as I was in a rush. 

I had one of my favourite dish: Katsudon. For those new to Japanese food, katsudon takes its name from two Japanese words: tonkatsu (for pork cutlet) and donburi (for rice bowl dish). It consists of a deep-fried pork cutlet, egg, and condiments. 

Katsudon $7.75     4/5      

 +
  • pork was fresh and soft (easy to chew) on the inside 
  • the portion was big
  • free miso soup included
  • rice was not soggy or dry, achieved perfect level of moisture
  • the egg was prepared just to the right level as to be able to "melt" into the pork and the rice
-
  • maybe a little too many onions for me (depends on personal preference)

Overall: I am impressed with the effort that Taiko On Denman has put into this take-out order. I will be back.

Taiko on Denman on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment