Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Motomachi Shokudo

Having just finished a beautiful and sunny morning shift near Stanley Park, decided to go with some coworkers to get some lunch. I wanted some place close by, so I suggested we head to Motomachi Shokudo for some ramen, since one of my buddies also wanted ramen. I had been here once before, and had the Dark Ramen, which was pretty good, I wondered if this time would be equally as good.


As it was pretty late in the afternoon, I was starving, so decided to also get a Gyoza 3.5/5. Unfortunately, my coworkers did not want any so I had to eat all four gyozas myself. My first impression was, why were there so many black burnt bits on the gyozas; I think this is pretty unhealthy and a little overcooked. Otherwise, the fried part of the gyoza wrap was crispy, this is a good sign. The contents inside was pretty good and had a mix of meat and vegetable. I would have liked if the gyoza came a little hotter.














As I already tried the Dark ramen last time, I decided to try the Shio Ramen $8.95 3.5/5. On first impression, it looked pretty good. I was disappointed that there was only half an egg, I sort of expected a full egg (egg is my favourite :) ). My favourite part about the ramen was the soup. It wasn't too fat and thick, I sort of preferred this type of soup compared to those ones served in Kintaro Ramen next door. Besides the soup, I also really enjoyed the one piece of BBQ pork, it was a perfect mix of fat and leanness. After tasting the pork, I regretted not going for the Extra BBQ Pork version for another 2 dollars. For the ramen noodles themselves, that was the part I did not really enjoy, I felt the noodles were a little too thin, I prefer thicker noodles like those at Kintaro, Benkei, or Ramen Sanpachi. But it was still alright nonetheless, and the quantity of noodles was good. I just wish there was at least one more slice of BBQ pork though.

Overall: It's pretty similar to other ramen places, but I prefer this one over Kintaro because I can actually eat in a relaxing way. I prefer Ramen Sanpachi over this one.

Motomachi Shokudo 元町食堂 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment